26 Jul 2009

Let it snow...

For anyone wanting to know how i do my snow here is a very rough guide to what i do and use.
Photobucket
First up, you need supplies:
Photobucket
Snow flock, a mixing cup, PVA glue and something to mix with (I use coffee stirrers or lollipop sticks personally).

I mix the snow 50/50 with the PVA glue and add water until I get the desired toothpaste/porridge consistency so it's not runny but not like dough.

Photobucket
Photobucket
You need to play around a little to get the mix right, but when it is you can drop in on and it flows just enough to get a pretty realistic look.

Once you have the mix looking right, take your base (using an unpainted junk base for this example) and using your mixing tool, drool a small amount of the mix where desired.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Now you can use a wet brush or tool to manipulate the snow to how you want it and smooth any marks left over from the last step.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
On the base in the post below, it took 2 layers to make it look thick and fluffy.

I made up half a plastic disposable cup's worth, which if coved up properly should last a week or so for wore applications. if it dries out just add a little water.
Photobucket
you can also add a little white or ice blue paint to the mix to enhance the colour a little.

So that's my (Very) rough guide to how I do snow, hope it helps someone out but if not at least it make me look like I blog alot ;o) and it's a nice break from not painting my guard ;oD

Here is some pics of the ogres I used this method on:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Some old pics in bad light (as are all i take at the moment! will set up a light tent one weekend!)

Cheers for looking and hope it wasn't too painful to look at ;oP


Apoc

7 comments:

  1. Awesome tutorial there... I have the Snow flock for my Dwarves and will definately be using this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kraggi,

    It's good to know my rambling will help someone out! ;o)

    Will look forward to seeing some pics!

    Apoc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im painting up a Space Marine Commander in a space wolf colour scheme and was needing to know how to do snow basing. Ill copy this and when I get him done and finished Ill give you a shout out on the post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look forward to seeing him :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Apoca6, great tutorial. Now I just need to find an application for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is the snow flock essentially baking soda?

    ReplyDelete
  7. made from different materials, the snow flock looks like it is made from the same stuff as(although i am most likely wrong) static grass, only in tiny lengths and white.

    I haven't used baking soda, but know alot of people do. I'll give it a go tonight or the weekend and let you know how it turns out on the blog ;o)

    Apoc

    ReplyDelete